Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Friday 26 October 2018

What, no Arctic blast. (Lyng Stores, Lyng)

Lyng Stores,
Lyng,
Mon-Fri 7:30-7:00, Sat 8:00-7:00,
Sun 9:00-1:00
Yesterday the weather forecast lady told me that we would be getting an Arctic blast today. This was exciting news as I would be able to try out my new winter cycle boots and see if they keep my feet warm without the need for overshoes. I would be combing my footwear test with a trip to the Lyng stores which I had been recommended to try.

I got into my winter cycling garb for the first time this year and strapped on my new boots (which had some quite complicated laces and Velcro to negotiate). Big George was joining me as today's cycling guest but I was a little concerned when he turned up in his cycle shorts and no winter jacket! Did he not know there was an Arctic blast coming?
Big George was not dressed appropriately for an Arctic blast
After a few miles it appeared Big George had called it right as I had to take off my gloves and unzip my top as I was overheating. In fact the only part of me that was not boiling hot was my feet, which was a bit worrying.

Still hot we arrived at the Lyng shopping district were we found the Lyng stores.
Outside the Lyng stores in the outdoor seating area
There was an outdoor seating area plus a few tables inside, which was were we choose to sit today. The cake selection was rather small with the star attraction being a Bakewell tart (which isn't really cake) but I went for the chocolate chip muffin and Big George a cheese toastie (which definitely isn't cake).
Todays rather small cake selection
I had been recommended the coffee here but as I don't drink it I left it to Big George to decide. However for some reason he had gone for a standard white coffee (as it was cheapest) and therefore didn't get the full coffee experience. My hot chocolate was a bit on the milky side but still quite good. The Muffin was a fairly standard affair.
Today's cake and drinks
After scores were in the Lyng stores scored consistently with a number of other village store/cafe outlets I have visited such as the ones at Rocklands and Neatishead so I think my rating system is working well. I will probably be coming here again with a proper coffee drinker to give the Lyng stores a fairer test.

On the way home my bike developed an annoying rattle/creak noise. In fact it was so loud that I was actually tweeted by a follower on twitter saying he had seen me and wanted to know if it was my bike making all the noise. I tweeted back to confess that he was right on both counts. I think this now qualifies me as a Z rated local celebrity and I probably need an agent.

Back at Crusader Towers, in my secret underground workshop, I think I found the rattle/creak noise in the rear wheel skewer which I gave a damn good greasing. I will find out if it is fixed on my next ride, by which time the Arctic blast might have really turned up so I can get back to boot testing. Exciting times!

Scores
Hot Choc Quality
Guest Hot Drink Quality
Effective Cake Selection
Cake Quality
Ambiance and Atmosphere
Café Rating
6.8
6.1
5.3
6.3
6.7
6.24
Route

Click here to down load 37 mile Norwich Lyng loop gpx file to your gps

No comments:

Post a Comment