Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Monday 11 July 2022

Tour of Yorkshire 2022. Day 1 York to Helmsley

Day 1 York to Helmsley

Once again its time to leave the relative flatlands of Norfolk and head to more bumpy scenery up North. The purpose of this trip will be to see how the average cycle cafe stop in Yorkshire compares to the average ones in my local domain. Last year I used science to compare the two areas but this did not go to plan or lead to the awarding of the Nobel prize for science as I expected, so I clearly need to up my game. 

To do this I have developed a more sophisticated model, increased the sphere of cafes to be tested and packed an extra cycling guest for more accurate cafe ratings. Science doesn't get better than this and I think the Nobel prize is in the bag.

I've done the maths and of the 297cafes I have reviewed in the Norfolk and North Suffolk region then their average rating is 6.90. Can the 8 cafes I have selected to visit here this week beat that. Well lets find out.

The route covers the North York Moors and the Yorkshire dales.

The route. Stars are cafes and houses are overnight stops

Today we left Norwich at a respectable 8:30 with me and Andrew (who is notourisly hard to please) in one car and Ali and Big George in another. This is a cycling trip so lets pick up the story from when we have parked up in York, faffed about packing and re packing bikes and eventually set off towards our first cafe stop a few miles away. And don’t forget what goes on tour stays on my blog.
My group of finely tuned cycling guest ready for le grand depart.

We made our way out of York into the suburbs where todays only cafe stop would be. It was the Curious coffee company cafe (CCCC) in Haxby shopping precinct. We had hoped to sit outside but someone had fainted in the heat and were hogging two of the outside tables as staff and customers gathered round with ice and water to try and revive her. Fortunately I managed to shuffle them up a bit and we could then squeeze on a table so no harm done.
I waited until after the fainty lady had gone to take the cafe photo
But how did the CCCC compare with one of my regular cafes. Apart from fainty people cluttering up tables and it being in a 1970s style shopping street then Atmosphere and Ambiance was good thanks to the friendly staff and pleasant vibe. My hot chocolate was very good (for some reason they said they hadn’t sold many hot chocolates today) and not Cadbury’s of which most of last years Yorkshire cafes provide 🤮.
My hot chocolate and double decker brownie
They had a very brownie biased cake selection as apparently they were famous for them and you could also have them with chunks of chocolate bars on top. I was torn between Bounty and Double Decker (which I didn’t realise was still a thing) but then remembered Bounty’s are horrible so went DD. It was nice but not spectacular.

Big George, the only coffee drinker, didn’t like his drink so all in all CCCC scored 6.92. Which was 0.02 better than my standard cafe average. On reflection I thought it was probably 0.02 better proving that science got it right again.

From here it was a mere 34 miles and 3 small climbs to Helmsley on the hottest day of the year and boy did my cycling guests whinge about the heat. I don’t like to talk about it but I was forced to remind them that I once did an Ironman in 40 degree heat, although that didn’t seem to help.
Cycling Guests whinging about the heat
However we did enjoy some typical Yorkshire villages and lovely views so they did agree it had been a fine afternoon of cycling really.

Personal highlight was seeing castle Howard where Brideshead revisited, Downton, Bridgeton and every episode of Antiques road show were filmed. None of which I’ve seen although I am a fan of Fiona Bruce who I believe lives there.

From here it was just a short ride in Helmsley and the prolog of the tour was over. Tomorrow we start the ride proper with some big hills to climb and 2 cafes to visit on another warm day.

Todays route

Trip Stats

Route

Miles

Average Mph

Time on Bike

Metres climbed

York to Helmsley

 38.40

 13.4

 2:51:50

 484

Helmsley to Great Broughton

 

 

 

 

Great Broughton to Hawes

 

 

 

 

Hawes to Pateley Bridge

 

 

 

 

Pateley Bridge to York

 

 

 

 

Totals

 

 

 

 


Cafe ratings

Cafe

Hot Chocolate

Quality

Guest Hot Drink

Quality

Cake Selection

Cake Taste Quality

Atmosphere and Ambiance

Total

Curious Coffee Company, Haxby

 7.6

 5.5

7.1 

 7.4

 7.0

 6.92

Hutton le Hoe

 

 

 

 

 

 

Danby Bakery

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Mustard Tree Café, Hurworth

 

 

 

 

 

 

No.15 Coffee House, Barnard Castle

 

 

 

 

 

 

&Then Tasting Deli, Kettlewell

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tea on the green, Bolton Abbey

 

 

 

 

 

 

Café Chez Nous

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment