Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Thursday 26 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 10. More Trees

Day 10. More Trees

When I got up this morning the forecast was for it to be cold and drizzling all day. I have now learnt that in these conditions never take your gloves off as your hands don’t warm up again. I therefore researched how to operate the phone camera by voice commands so you don’t miss out on any good tree pics.

I also decided to put all 5 layers of clothing available to me on.

Once out of town my Garmin said to follow the road for the next 23 miles. It was a very straight road and much to my surprise lined with a lot of trees.
There was also little sign of civilisation. In fact sometimes there were village signs but no actual village, just more trees. These trees live in Hano, apparently.
After 23 miles of mind numbing pedalling it all became worth while when I came to an actual roundabout to negotiate.
After that adrenaline rush I was relived to see a small village, with actual houses and stuff, up ahead. I could hardly believe my luck as the local garage had a mini Starbucks.

I don’t often cycle to the big coffee shop chains but was prepared to make an exception. My hot chocolate and apple bun (that turned out to be ginger) were very welcome and the garage rated 5.89 on the EU approved European cafe rating system.

Then it was back on the road again, and guess what, more trees.

And no I’m not just using the same road and tree picture over and over again.

From here things took a turn for the better as I expertly timed my arrival at todays ferry crossing for just as it pulled in (or docked as us regularly ferry users like to say).


This ferry was free and paid for from hard working Swedish workers taxes. I therefore didn’t want people to know I was a British freeloaded so shouted my favourite Swedish chef lines over the noise of the ferry engine which I think fooled the captain and other passengers.

I also let my bike sit down while I stood up to rest my bottom. I’m sure my bike appreciated the break.
Now on the other side I pushed on until a few miles later I spotted a cafe in the middle of nowhere. At last a proper Swedish establishment to rate.
It was clearly often very busy as they had a food ordering buzzer system to let you know when your order was ready. It didn’t seem altogether necessary as the place was virtually deserted and I was the only new customer who arrived the whole time I was there. I dutifully took buzzer number 1 and waited at my table.

A couple of minutes later the waitress came over to point out that I was buzzing and I sheepishly returned the buzzer and went up to the counter to collect my Hot Chocolate and apple pie with custard.
I must say it was the finest on the trip and Eldtomta cafe och Butik (est 1879) rated a stunning 8.2 and easily into first place. 

After a final few miles of road and trees I entered Greater Stockholm and wove along the cycle path network to my hotel for my first daylight finish of the trip.

Tomorrow it’s just under a Grand Fondo to Uppsala and the waiting arms of Mrs Crusader and family before I start loosening up the running muscles ready for the Uppsala parkrun.

Tomorrow’s Weather


Stats 


Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Miles to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

6:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

9:02

11.4

366

884

Day 3 Deventer to Cloppenburg

103.48

8:16

12.5

231

782

Day 4 Cloppenburg to Jork

90.45

8:20

10.8

538

678

Day 5 Jork to Heiligenhafen

96.11

8:18

11.6

604

582

Day 6 Heiligenhafen to Daley

86.59

6:47

12.7

637

483

Day 7 Daley to Bastad

95.67

7:36

12.6

705

388

Day 8 Bastad to Tranemo

95.09

8:19

11.4

856

173

Day 9 Tranemo to Jonkoping 

58.76

5:46

10.2

540

123

Day 10 Nykoping to Stockholm

66.87

6:08

10.9

871

56


Todays route 


3 comments:

  1. Well done Captain Bluedot. I trust you’ll be cycling to Parkrun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course 🚴‍♂️🏃‍♂️

      Delete
  2. So glad you got to have custard ( I know how much you love it 🥰 £ and of course the pie too and maybe your are converted to Starbucks too? It’s a bit like me hating McDonalds but I’ve given in when I’m so hungry I would eat my own hand 😂 so closed 💪❤️

    ReplyDelete