Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Wednesday 18 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 2. Now That’s What I Call a Headwind

Day 2. Now That’s what I call a headwind 

The ferry crossing was very straight forward and I was especially pleased that I had managed to find a space to squeeze my bike in in the bicycle parking area.

The other plus was I had the opportunity to rate the Stena line Egg on Toast which was actually quite good.

Once dockside then I didn’t hang about disembarking as I knew today would be a struggle with a strong headwind forecast all day. On the plus side then thanks to the Netherlands incredible cycling infrastructure over 80 miles would be on  good quality cycle track, often far away from motorised traffic.

Sadly the wind was as bad as predicted so my 103 miles took me 11 hours. 

It also meant I only had time for two café stops which were both a bit rushed. Fortunately I had packed an emergency croissant and half a snickers bar which took the place of one of the other potential stops.


Despite the rather cycling focused day all my trip goals remain in tact (see Day 1 post for details)

 1. The Uppsala parkrun people we’ll be pleased to hear I covered the planned mileage today but with more head winds forecast tomorrow and storm Babet due to hit Friday there is a good chance I might have to skip a bit of cycling to make it on time.

2,3. Still no sign of any pickled herring to review yet but I’m sure some will turn up the nearer I get to Scandinavia.

4. Only had time for two cafe stops today and both were good  solid Dutch offerings. 

Tref cafe scored 6.87 on the EU approved European  cafe rating system and had a nice hot chocolate (with heart) but cake had seen better days.

The second had a nice outdoor continental style seating area (probably as it was on the continent) which I took advantage of.

It also did Apple pie with cream, which is a must in these parts, so managed a respectable 7.06 however im hoping for cafes better to come.


5. Thing of the day today was the windmill but I only saw two. The winner was in the middle of a housing estate. In previous cycle rides in these parts I’ve seen lots of windmills so I was rather disappointed with the lack of participants.

I will still, of course,  be sending a winning thing of the day certificate to the local mayor.

Tomorrow’s thing of the day will be bridges. I went on a lot today so they are clearly popular in these parts. The other thing they seem to have a lot of is rivers.

Im pinning my hopes on tomorrow not being so brutal and I can take a bit more time and care rating things and updating my spreadsheets. Hopefully everything will still be on track

Tomorrow’s weather


Trip stats


Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Distance to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

06:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

09:02

11.4

366

884


Todays route



3 comments:

  1. Solid start. Hold on to your hat and hang on in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good days work. slightly worried that the emergency croissant & half a snickers bar looked slightly better than one of the cafe options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get on the drops on those ‘Dutch Hills’. Keep going Kev!

    ReplyDelete