Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Friday 20 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 4. Wet

Day 4. Wet

The forecast today was to be very wet and windy so I briefly considered sitting it out. However I had to do at least 90 miles to stay on target so went outside for a pitch inspection. Unfortunately the weather at the hotel this morning was just light drizzle plus a strong, but manageable headwind. So I foolishly decided to set off with the plan to take stock at Bremen around lunch time.

The route itself was even duller than yesterday as I just cycled along paths by the side of the road.

At first all was going well so I didn’t really notice the weather gods were slowly ratcheting up the amount of precipitation. By the time I got to Bremen I realised I was very wet and my so called waterproof gloves were useless.

I stopped for a quick cafe review. Very standard fare and with no famous German cyclist museum next door to help the rating it scored a rather poor 6.27.

I decided that as I wasn’t tired yet and that the weather had been manageable, I would push on so I quickly booked my hotel at a suitable end point.

This was a mistake as the further I went the windy and wetter it got. My so called waterproof boots were now full of water so all extremities were completely frozen. Although my actual waterproofs did a fabulous job. I found it was easier to keep going than to stop as I was slightly warmer when cycling.

Over the years I know it’s always wise to carry a portable emergency bakery with you. Fortunately mine was well stocked so I was able to have a couple of refuels featuring a soggy croissant and chocolate donut. 

Here is the winner of rain shelter of the day. (The rest were all bus stops). Certificate on its way Mr Mayor.

It was the hardest and probably stupidest cycle ride I’ve ever done (and I’ve done a few) so if the forecast is like that again I’ll definitely be taking the train. I’m also absolutely wasted so the thought of another 100 miles tomorrow is not creating the warm fuzzy feeling it normally does.

The only bonus was that the hotel I had booked in a rush was not only very good but had a raw herring dish on the menu, which although not pickled, sets me up nicely for when I enter Scandinavian.

To finish on a positive note then tomorrow’s forecast looks better and the ride will also feature the first ferry crossing. However number 1 priority is restocking of the portable emergency bakery.

Tomorrow’s weather


Stats



Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Miles to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

06:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

09:02

11.4

366

884

Day 3 Deventer to Cloppenburg

103.48

08:16

12.5

231

782

Day 4 Cloppenburg to Wedel

90.45

08:20

10.8

538

678



Today’s route 



3 comments:

  1. 'Portable emergency bakery', brilliant😂. I hope you've warmed up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I ate it all tonight so need to restock

      Delete
  2. Keep going, you are doing amaaaazingly!

    ReplyDelete