Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Sunday 22 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 6. Will it ever go to plan?

Day 6. Will it ever go to plan?

Today started with another bombshell. On discussing my plans the owner of the hotel told  me that the first bridge of the day is closed and I have to take a bus from the proceeding village. At least I knew as it will save a lot of swearing (out loud) if I had got there and found out there was no way across. As it turned out I still got a good swear in.

In more positive news I had German EoT this morning, the sun was shining and I had a tail wind, all of which put me in a good mood.

I delayed setting off to correspond with the bus time table (which was mistake 1). I easily found the bus stop and waited with my bike (mistake 2).Then with typical German efficiency the bus arrived right on time at 9:31. I can see why they are so efficient as they don’t stop to pick up passengers as despite my waving it sailed on past.

I wait another few minutes but with an hour to spare before the next bus I decided to set off to investigate just how closed the cycle path on bridge actually was.

I got there and decided there were 3 choices. 

1. Swim across, 

2. go back and wait for next bus 

3. Ignore the signs and find a way  thought the fenced off track on to the bridge.

Quite out of character I opted for option 3 and found a gap in the fence. Once on the closed cycle path there was only the odd bit of workman equipment to dodge. Fortunately as it was Sunday there were no actual workmen to stop me and I was soon over. I love anarchy.

Once on the other side I spotted a bakery and fully restocked my portable emergency bakery (PEB) which thanks to yesterdays trip to Toom was now kept in its own bag for life.

With the tail wind pushing me along I got to the ferry in no time and was soon on my way to Denmark.

Obviously I first reviewed the onboard cafe which had lots of seafood but no cake or herring. I therefore raided the PEB to have a donut with my lunch but gave the so called cafe a very low rating of 3.92.

The crossing was very straight forward and 45 mins later I was in Denmark.

With mainly good quality surfaces, and being allowed on the road, I sped along although sadly most of Denmark appears shut on a Sunday.

I did find one place open but my dream of pickled herring followed by danish pastry was not to be as there was no cake available. The club Sandwich was good and authentic Danish town square setting scored a respectable 6.83.

Denmark looked very nice and peaceful with little traffic. There was even the excitement of crossing a 2 mile bridge like the one in the Scandi noir thriller of the same name. 

In fact having watched so much Scandi Noir the language felt very familiar even if I couldn’t understand anything.

I was on the look out for best Danish looking thing of the day and I have eventually picked this. So a certificate is on the way to the Mayor of Denmark.

No ride on this trip would be complete without a soaking so I was pleased when the sky's darkened and I was rained on for the last 2 hours but now have a well worn hotel drying routine so will be ready to go again in the morning and get wet again.

The weather looks mixed tomorrow as I visit a wonderful, wonderful place and hopefully make it to Sweden.

Tomorrows weather 


Stats



Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Miles to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

06:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

09:02

11.4

366

884

Day 3 Deventer to Cloppenburg

103.48

08:16

12.5

231

782

Day 4 Cloppenburg to Jork

90.45

08:20

10.8

538

678

Day 5 Jork to Heiligenhafen

96.11

8:18

11.6

604

582

Day 6 Heiligenhafen to Daley

86.59

6:47

12.7

637

483


Todays route


4 comments:

  1. Another absolute epic day. Well done & you made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sneaking onto a closed bridge: naughty, naughty, very naughty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to find a way. I’m sure they didn’t mind really

      Delete