Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Friday 27 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 11. The final push

Day 11. The final push

As I got ready for the final push to Uppsala I realised that I was absolutely shattered, no idea why as I had slept incredibly well. Fortunately, thanks to Wednesdays bus action I had less than 60 miles left to do.

The first 30 miles were very dull and very slow as it was all through built up areas either side of Stockholm.


Once clear, I was in desperate need of a break but could only find a slightly ropey cafe,  needs must so I had a cup of tea and pre wrapped muffin.  At least it kept me going for a bit although the cafe rating was only 3.17.

After all the urban cycling it was good to turn the corner and be surrounded by my old friends the trees who kept me company for the next few miles.

I couldn’t have my last cafe trip being hot chocolate free so thanks to Dr Google I found another potential stop and this one delivered a pretty good chocolate and apple (it turned out to be apricot) bun thing. It scored a credible 6.72.

It was now one last 20 mile push for home. My smooth fluent pedalling from last weeks stages had long since disappeared and I was now having to rest my legs after every few pedal strokes. However I eventually rounded the corner and there was the inspirational sight of my welcoming committee. 

After 11 days, 932 miles, 5 ferries, 1 bus and 2 punctures I had made it.

Sadly as I had taken a bit longer than planned to arrive today, then apparently, the Uppsala brass band and mayor had had to go to another engagement but Mrs Crusader and Meg had made a fabulous celebration cake.

I have still no idea why I decided to undertake this trip, it just sort of happened. But most importantly what have we learned. (This was a very informative trip as normally we only learn 10 things but on this one we’ve learnt 20.)

1. Sweden is a long way from Norwich (especially on a bike)

2. It takes 34 times longer to pedal to Uppsala than fly there.

3. Uppsala has been put on the wrong side of Sweden

4. The wind is not always a prevailing one from the West 

5. On long rides always make sure you portable emergency bakery is well stocked

6. German bike mechanics don’t know anything about tubeless tyres except how to ruin them.

7. German DIY chain Toom has a cycling section 

8. If you cycle through a storm (such as Babet) you are likely to get very wet.

9. If you plan to cycle through a storm then make sure your waterproof gloves are actually waterproof or better still stay at home.

10. German buses all run on time as they don’t stop to pick up passengers 

11. You can’t get pickled herring at cafes in Denmark 

12.  Ironically in Denmark Danish Danish pastries are in fact, just called pastries.

13. There is nothing wonderful, wonderful about Copenhagen if you cycle round the edge of it on the cycle path ring road. (The same is true of Stockholm although to be fair it never claimed to be wonderful, wonderful).

14. You can’t get pickled herring in Swedish cafes

15. There are a lot of trees in Sweden 

16. In Sweden you can put a bike on a bus more easily than a train 

17. Drivers in Northern Europe always give priority to bikes at junctions and crossings (and it takes getting used to) but they haven’t had a war on motorists.

18. The best cafes between Norwich and Uppsala are in the middle of nowhere and occasionally have museums about famous cyclists you have never heard of next door. As a rule all others are average at  best.

19. If you ride for long and far enough your bottom will hurt.

20. Most importantly, if a child of yours moves to a foreign country never ever causally say that you will cycle out to visit them (and remember Mrs Crusader knows best)

Stats



Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Miles to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

6:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

9:02

11.4

366

884

Day 3 Deventer to Cloppenburg

103.48

8:16

12.5

231

782

Day 4 Cloppenburg to Jork

90.45

8:20

10.8

538

678

Day 5 Jork to Heiligenhafen

96.11

8:18

11.6

604

582

Day 6 Heiligenhafen to Daley

86.59

6:47

12.7

637

483

Day 7 Daley to Bastad

95.67

7:36

12.6

705

388

Day 8 Bastad to Tranemo

95.09

8:19

11.4

856

173

Day 9 Tranemo to Jonkoping 

58.76

5:46

10.2

540

123

Day 10 Nykoping to Stockholm

66.87

6:08

10.9

871

56

Day 11 Stockholm to Uppsala

58.43

5:39

10.3

689

0

Totals

932.04

80:15

11.65

6821



Todays route




3 comments:

  1. Next time listen to Mrs C, but still an outstanding achievement 🚴🏻‍♀️💪🥐❤️🥳 and I’ve enjoyed readying this 🥂😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Kevin, great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look broken!

    ReplyDelete