Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Wednesday 25 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 9. Plan b

Day 9. Plan b

With cold, wet and windy weather in the offing plus a lack of available accommodation whilst  being too pooped for another long day I had decided to implement plan b. The route now looks like this with a bus filling the gap.

Mrs Crusader and the team at Mission Control had been working hard overnight and sent me the details of how to book a bus/bike ticket from the nearest bus stop to Nykoping about 130 miles from Uppsala parkrun. Once on the site I found there were no bike spaces left on the 14:45 bus so I had to book the 16:00. With only a 50 mile ride to the bus stop I thought I was going to have a very long wait at Jonkoping and imagined shivering at the bus stop for a couple of hours. As it turned out I had had a very lucky break.

It was good to see the rain and strong winds had returned as I left for Jonkoping after an overaly leisurely breakfast.

I was then straight on to a super smooth cycle track that went through forests and past lakes for twenty miles.

In the right conditions it would have been spectacular but as I was tired, cold and wet, then boy was it dull as the miles slowly ticked by.

The only excitement came from needing to lift the bike over a number of fallen trees

and having to do some steering at a very occasional bend.

Despite the scenery it felt the longest two hours of the ride.

I was very relieved when that section was over but my troubles had only just begun.

I rely on the Komoot app for all route planning but on this occasion it tried to send me down 10 miles of duel carriage way. With lorries whizzing by I obviously got off it as soon as possible and had to work out an alternative way to avoid the highway. This add several bonus miles but was, at least, rather pretty.

With that obstacle successfully negotiated I was then presented with 10 miles of sandy off road track. This was super draining on the legs and made progress very slow.

I realised that if I had opted for the 14:45 bus I would have certainly missed it. Another lucky escape.

It was just past 15:00 when I eventually arrived at Jonkoping bus station. In fact, it was a very good bus station with a nice cafe where I had time for an excellent hot chocolate and interesting cake. A solid 6.83 rating.

The bus waiting area was inside too so no hardship there. The bus arrived on time and with bike strapped on the back I could at last relax (sort of as obviously was concerned about the bike falling off) and look forward to another day. 

Tomorrow I hope to do the first 66 of the final 130 miles to Uppsala. The section looks very interesting as it skirts the East coast and includes a bonus ferry. It does look quite hilly though and it’s getting rather cold. What can possibly go wrong?

Tomorrows weather forecast 

Stats 



Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Miles to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

6:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

9:02

11.4

366

884

Day 3 Deventer to Cloppenburg

103.48

8:16

12.5

231

782

Day 4 Cloppenburg to Jork

90.45

8:20

10.8

538

678

Day 5 Jork to Heiligenhafen

96.11

8:18

11.6

604

582

Day 6 Heiligenhafen to Daley

86.59

6:47

12.7

637

483

Day 7 Daley to Bastad

95.67

7:36

12.6

705

388

Day 8 Bastad to Tranemo

95.09

8:19

11.4

856

173

Day 9 Tranemo to Jonkoping 

55.54

5:25

10.2

517

123


Todays route



2 comments:

  1. were you kind of hoping that your bike would fall off the back of the bus, thus ending the need to keep riding? I know I would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think how hench your quads will be after this epic training camp!!

    ReplyDelete