Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Thursday 19 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 3. Dull

Day 3. Dull

Todays actual ride was pretty dull as it was mile upon mile along flat cycle paths.

The first half of the day was in Holland who had at least tried to make it interesting by putting their tracks through woods and by canals.

Unfortunately when I crossed over to Germany it all became much more functional with theirs going along side busy roads.

Every now and again the route would pass through a dull village or town where nearly everything was shut, especially cafes.

The promised rain never materialised it was just a dunk and drizzly day.

Fortunately I was able to create my own excitement as when I went to the bike this morning the back tyre was flat. They are the tubeless variety so I pumped it up and set off.

Unfortunately it would not hold much pressure and needed repumping every few miles.

What I needed was a bike shop but like the cafes they seemed to be closed and in short supply.

I did manage one cafe stop along the canal. It was next to the Hennie Kuiper Museum who was apparently a very famous Dutch cyclist in the 70’s (I’ve checked Wikipedia and can confirm he was). 

The lady in the cafe said that as a fellow cyclist she assumed I had stopped there because of the museum but I told her I’d never heard of him and had stopped as I was hungry. She looked more than a little disappointed which probably explains why it took her 30 minutes to make my cheese toastie.

It did have very good apple pie and cream and partly thanks to having an attached famous cyclist museum next door scored 7.12 which puts it into first place.

I was about 80 miles into the ride when I eventually found a bike shop. Unfortunately the mechanics were rubbish, made things worse and directed me to another shop down the road. They were pretty useless too so I decided the best plan was for them to put an inner tube in the tyre which took them far longer than it should have.

Now dark I set off on the final 20 miles. Having a hard back tyre made quite a difference and the final bit felt alot easier as I got to the hotel 10 minutes before the restaurant shut, which was a result.

In other news thing of the day, bridges, was a flop. Whereas yesterday they were everywhere today they had gone AWOL. Although this one on the canal was nice so I have made it bridge of the day.

From now on I will be selecting the thing of the day on the day.

It’s storm day tomorrow so will be deciding on progress in a make it up as you go along kind of way.

Tomorrow’s weather

Stats



Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Distance to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

06:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

09:02

11.4

366

884

Day 3 Deventer to Cloppenburg

103.48

08:16

12.5

231

782


Todays route


3 comments:

  1. I’ve never heard of him either. Great ride under difficult circumstances. But what is going on with your hot chocolate? Is that a mini ice cream cone with a special attachment? Can we retitle todays blog as “ a bridge too few”?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very observant as the mini ice cream was the highlight. Good post title, I must try harder😂

      Delete
  2. There clearly is two business opportunities here 1. a bike shop that knows how to repair bikes 2. a cafe that is just open 😂

    ReplyDelete