Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Monday 23 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 7. Another day another country.

Day 7. Another day another country

I was very excited when the alarm went off this morning as this was the first hotel that provided a bike pump. I would finally be able to pump my tyres up to my liking rather than the hopeless job the so called German bike mechanics had done.

To add to my joy the forecast was for a dry day (it wasn’t) and the first 10 miles were on a super flat fast surface. So for once I got off to a fast and dry start.

Better still, shortly into todays ride I found a large bike shop and was able to buy some super warm waterproof gloves. I put them safely in my back bag as I wasn’t expecting to need them today (I did).

My old gloves found a new home in a nearby bin.

After about 30 miles I was ready for a stop but had not yet seen a single bakery. In Germany they had been one on every corner of every village. I worried that perhaps the Danish just didn’t eat bread. 

Just I was thinking I would have to refuel from the portable emergency bakery (PEM), a static permanent bakery popped up. 

And it was a very good one and had Danish pastries. I assume in Denmark they are actually called Danish Danish pastries so that’s what I asked for, which is probably why she gave me two.

It was a fabulous stop with excellent hot chocolate, pizza and DD pastries so scored well. If only it wasn’t on a main road and had had a museum about a famous Danish cyclist, that I’d never heard of, attached it would have gone into first place but instead score a good 7.16.

I’m glad I stopped there as I didn’t see another bakery in all my time in Denmark. I hope Sweden does better.

The route went round Copenhagen on the cycle bypass so I didn’t get to see anything wonderful or wonderful on this part of the trip as I hoped.

After yesterdays eclectic mix of scenery then today was back to cycle along side roads and through towns. Just before the ferry there was a nice costal section and I got the impression that on the right route Denmark would be a great place for a cycle holiday (Mrs Crusader take note).

The ferry crossing itself was very straight forward although the warm tea and pastry at the ferry cafe could only muster a 4.37 rating.

I’ve been on 4 ferries to get here but they can only be one winner of Ferry of the week and it’s todays Denmark to Sweden. Very efficient and nice length of crossing. The CEO of Forsea is probably over come with joy at the thought of receiving his ferry of the week certificate.

Now in Sweden I immediately asked the first passer by the way to Uppsala Parkrun. And I couldn’t believe their answer when they said where it was. Which idiot went and put it on the wrong side of Sweden! I’ve now got to cycle to the other side (and up a bit) and Sweden is very big.

But I’m on a mission, so off I set. It was now that time of day when it starts to rain so it was waterproofs on, again, and the chance to try the new gloves. Fortunately they performed excellently and for once I finished with dry hands.

It was a mixed bag in terms of the route with some road, cycle paths and tracks with not a lot of scenery to enjoy (probably as it was pretty misty). But I did finish with several miles of smooth tarmac through the woods so a nice way to end another very long day.

Tomorrow things start to get more isolated so the PEB is going to need a good restock before I set off. Weather looks like it’s deteriorating again too.

Tomorrow’s weather 


Stats



Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Miles to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

06:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

09:02

11.4

366

884

Day 3 Deventer to Cloppenburg

103.48

08:16

12.5

231

782

Day 4 Cloppenburg to Jork

90.45

08:20

10.8

538

678

Day 5 Jork to Heiligenhafen

96.11

8:18

11.6

604

582

Day 6 Heiligenhafen to Daley

86.59

6:47

12.7

637

483

Day 7 Daley to Batard

95.67

7:36

12.6

705

388


Today’s route


3 comments:

  1. Shame you didn't go through a little bit of France for some French French Fancies to go with the Danish Danish Pastries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are showing such amazing strength and although the cafes look very disappointing I do hope you are able to fuel and get some good sleep Take care my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. There’s always Swedish Swedish meatballs to come

    ReplyDelete