Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Tuesday 24 October 2023

Norwich to Uppsala (Sweden) day 8. Trees

Day 8. Trees

I can’t complain about much today as it stayed dry, the wind wasn’t too bad and I even found the only available cafe at exactly halfway. However it was certainly the toughest day so far as after 8 full days of cycling I seem to have run out of steam. 

Things started excellently as I was able to fully restock the portable emergency bakery from a bakery near the hotel. I knew I would need it today as it was going to be a rather remote route.

Almost straight away I knew I was in trouble as it was the first day my bum hurt and I was struggling to maintain any sort of speed. Especially as I was on the only flat section of the route, that went along the coast.

Once I had headed inland the ride became very pretty as I rode along virtually empty tree lined roads and cycle paths with lots of rivers and lakes to enjoy.

However after a few miles of this it becomes a bit samey as all I saw for the next 70 miles were lots of trees.

The one exception was when the route went through an actual town at halfway and I took the opportunity to refuel. 

It was a far from exceptional cafe with probably the worst hot chocolate all trip. So only score 5.17.

Then it was back on the remote route through the forests. A lot of the time I had to ride standing up to protect my delicate bottom.

It was hard to choose but I did eventually select my tree of the day which is in this photo. A really standout evergreen I thought.

The route was mainly uphill and the last 25 miles seemed to go for ever as I struggled to keep turning the pedals. Several visits were made to the PEB so I was glad I had restocked. It was then down one last tree lined cycle path before I eventually rolled into town, literally.

I know I don’t have another full days riding in me and as the original route headed into even more isolated territory I decided it was time to implement plan b. Where b stands for bus.

So I’ve replanned my route to go south of the big lake rather than North. In this way I can cycle 50 miles to the city of Jonkoping for mid afternoon tomorrow. Then I will catch a bus for a bit. This will leave me about 120 miles to do over the last 2 days. I’m hoping I can manage that.

Fortunately Mrs Crusader is now in Uppsala (via a plane) and worked out that it is easier to put a bike on a bus than a train in Sweden and which bus to catch. Without her intervention I would have been stranded at a train station tomorrow and there would have been a lot of swearing.

It looks like rain is back on the card’s tomorrow as well but hopefully plan b will make things a lot easier. Putting a bike on a bus in a foreign country, what can possibly go wrong, after all it’s not Germany.

Tomorrow’s weather 


Stats



Miles

Time on bike

Average speed 

Meters climbed

Miles to go

Day 1 Norwich to Harwich

77.64

6:05

12.8

784


Day 2 Hoek of Holland to Deventer

102.95

9:02

11.4

366

884

Day 3 Deventer to Cloppenburg

103.48

8:16

12.5

231

782

Day 4 Cloppenburg to Jork

90.45

8:20

10.8

538

678

Day 5 Jork to Heiligenhafen

96.11

8:18

11.6

604

582

Day 6 Heiligenhafen to Daley

86.59

6:47

12.7

637

483

Day 7 Daley to Bastad

95.67

7:36

12.6

705

388

Day 8 Bastad to Tranemo

95.09

8:19

11.4

856

173


Todays route


3 comments:

  1. I can’t believe Mrs Crusader cheated & caught the plane. I’m presuming you’re swapping for the return journey? 😂 Anneke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ll check with her but I think that’s a no😂

      Delete
  2. Great work Kev. That was a tough day & not being able to sit on the saddle is no joke, well it is, unless you are the one in the bike. Good luck with the bus transition

    ReplyDelete