Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Friday 22 August 2014

Final Practice (Chalfonts tea room and coffee shop, Hingham)

Chalfonts,
Hingham,
Opening times Mon-Wed 09:00-17:00,
Thur-Fri 09:00-19:00,
Sat 09:00-17:00, Sun 09:00-16:00
Today was my last chance to have a practice ride with Big George before our bike trip to Paris. When I last saw Big George I had just left him on the side of the road moaning about a poorly knee and cramp (see Pilgrims Progress). However I thought I needed to make sure he was going to be alright for our trip so I arranged for him to be my guest as I went to check out Chalfonts, which is both a coffee shop and tea room, in Hingham. 

Big George told me he had been thinking about why he had performed so badly on our last ride and had prepared a list of 6 reasons. He went through his list, brakes rubbing, seat too low, yada yada yada. He didn't seem to have included on the list that he hadn't done enough training or the fact he needed to man up but despite this I still appreciated the work that had gone into putting his excuses list together.

We arrived at Chalfonts, which is both a tea room and coffee shop although it looks more like a cafe. It doesn't have an outside seating area so we went inside. I have been here once before but on that occasion we had a bad drinks experience so were hoping for better on this visit.
Outside Chalfonts Tea room and Coffee shop
Things got off to a good start as the cake selection was excellent and too large to fit in a single photo so I awarded a high effective cake selection (ECS) score.
Part of the cake selection that went either side of the till
Unfortunately the cakes looked better than they tasted. My chocolate cake was nice but a little dry. Big George didn't like his cherry cake but then said he wasn't keen on cakes with white icing so a rather strange choice considering the number of non white icing choices available. 
Drinks and cakes. Cakes once again served on the napkins rendering them useless
The drinks were certainly better than last time I came but still a bit on the weak side. Although not the best cafe I have been to, Chalfonts, which is both a tea room and coffee shop, was still a nice little stop and the staff were very friendly. I noticed the fry up inspector has also been here so you can also see his view here.

The ride back to Norwich was spent discussing the fine details of what we were taking on the Paris trip. Hopefully by the end of which Big George won't have an even longer list of excuses to why he rode so badly.

Scores for Chalfonts after two visits
Hot Choc Quality
Guest Hot Drink Quality
Effective Cake Selection
Cake Quality
Ambiance and Atmosphere
Café Rating
4.25
4.5
7.75
6.5
5.75
5.75
Route
Click link to down load 34 Mile Norwich Hingham loop gpx file for your GPS

No comments:

Post a Comment