Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Sunday 14 August 2022

Dolomites vs staycation the decider

Dolomites vs staycation the result 

It was the final day of the challenge and with things all square I realised I needed to pull out all the stops so decided to go on a bike ride. Meanwhile the Mrs Crusader crew were going all in on water sports and alcohol as it had worked for them yesterday.

My ride was the best yet as I headed over to Duran passo. It was 65 miles and the two Passos on the agenda offered the best views I can ever remember on a ride. The climb up the Duran passo was also just how I like it. 5 miles grinding up in your easiest gears at a constant 8-10%. Lovely.

Sadly the last 20 miles were a bit disappointing as they were uphill all the way but with a lot on the main road. We nutrition strategy didn’t deliver (3 gels, 1 energy bar and a cheese and ham baguette) as the final few miles were a real slog. But if you haven’t suffered you haven’t cycled.

For stat fans it was 65 miles, 24 up climbs, and 2400m ascended with 3300 calories burnt. 

Before we look at Mrs Crusaders day and the final result here are a few photos summaries my spectacular day.










Meanwhile back at the staycation then after another over leisurely outdoor breakfast, it was off to the river for some swimming and kayaking action. Jenny was the star swimming about 2 miles while Rory supervised Mrs Crusader in one Kayak and Catherine piloted the other (after a quick dip). 3.5 miles were kayaked in total so once again exhaustion set in and it was time for relaxation.


This was delivered in the cottage garden As the afternoon unfolded with chatting , egg and bacon rolls, sun bathing and planning one final staycation activity. They opted for more synchronised sea swimming and headed off to Mundesley. Here is a video of their latest routine.

It was then back to base for more beer, chatting, food and wine

But which day was better. Is it river sports, chatting, sea swimming and lots of alcohol on a beautiful hot summers day or a near perfect ride with stunning views in the Dolomites. Well amazingly both days scored 9.u5 out of 10 so it’s a draw. And we can safely say cycling in the Dolomites is just as good as a stay at home long weekend. Who’d have thought.

5 comments:

  1. A draw!!!! Click bait at its best

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired Alex and I to go to the Dolomites but not cycle up them 🤣 but I also love the staycation idea of some water sports but coupled with food and alcohol and it was national processo day yesterday 🥂😍 so I’m glad it was a draw as both sound awesome x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria -I’m never anonymous 🤣🤣

      Delete
  3. Yes I would have enjoyed the views but not the cycle. Likely have opted for seaswimming and wine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam G not anonymous

    ReplyDelete