Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Monday 14 October 2013

Size matters (Corner House Cafe, Mundesley)

Corner House Cafe,
Mundesley,
Opening times Mon 9:30-3:00,
 Tue-Sat 9:30-5:30, Sun 10-3
Recommended 
This is the first post about an actual Cafe (or tearoom) visit. Myself, with friend Andrew, set off from his house in Aylsham for a ride to Mundesley.  There is a choice of at least three Cafes in Mundesley but from previous visits I believed the Corner House Cafe was the best option. It does have the disadvantage from the others that it misses the sea view, although if you take the table by the door you can just glimpse the sea as long as you sit at the right angle, but it serves much better refreshments.
Outside the corner house cafe albeit on a different day from this visit
Overall the cafe scored very well against my hot chocolate and cake based scoring system (see There must be rules! ), and put the cafe equal 9th out of 21 cafes rated to date. The hot chocolate was excellent, with free mini marsh mallows, and the guest drink (Andrew's mocha) scored well despite him be notoriously hard to please in the coffee department. 

The most puzzeling thing was that the drink sizes available were only small and medium. Small I understood but with out a large size I couldn't see what reference point there was to know how big a medium should be. Maybe there used to be a large but it was either unpopular or they lost all the large cups, I shall probably never know but it is likely to trouble me for some time.

The overall score was pulled down by its effective cake selection rating (ECS). This is based on the number of cakes that I would like to try as opposed to just the number of different cakes on offer. There was not much choice but the carrot cake I did have was pretty good.

Despite a puncture the trip home was uneventful with less banter than normal as I was still distracted by the mystery of what happened to the large size drinks. However the Corner House Cafe is definitely on my list of cafes (or tearooms) to visit on my world record attempt (see Will it be a record ?) or when I next cycle out that way. 

Scores based on 2 visits
Hot Choc Quality
Guest Hot Drink Quality
Effective Cake Selection
Cake Quality
Ambiance and Atmosphere
Café Rating
7.25
7.0
5.75
7.25
7.25
6.90

This is a map of the route

View 31 Miles Aylsham Mundsley in a larger map

Click link to download 31 mile Alysham Mundsley loop GPX file for your GPS

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good, I love carrot cake! Slightly disappointed by lack of sea view, but it scored well in the other areas.

    ReplyDelete