Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Sunday 20 July 2014

Norfolk Cafe Cycle Tour Sportive 5. (40 miles via Heydon Shop and Tearooms, Heydon)

Sportive 5
Heydon Shop and Tearooms,
Heydon,
Open Wed-Sun 10-4.30 (4.00 Nov- Feb),
Highly Recommended

On a beautiful sunny Saturday morning the latest Cake Crusader Sportive took place out to Heydon. Unfortunately since this sportive had been first advertised there had been a number of withdrawals meaning that by the time we set off there was only myself and Chris (Mrs Crusader) waiting to start at Race HQ. Fortunately Andrew (who is notoriously hard to please) was going to help boost the numbers by meeting us on route.


The Oxford dictionary states that a sportive is : An organised long-distance road cycling event in which a large number of cyclists ride a marked route. I felt that; I had organised today, 40 miles was a long distance, more than two was a large number of cyclists (we had two and a half) and the route was marked out on my cycle GPS so according to the Oxford dictionary this was definitely a sportive not just a cycle ride. 

We set off at pace in order to meet Andrew at the agreed rendezvous point. It took a bit longer than expected but thanks to the gift of the text message we were able to successfully swell the size of the Peloton.
Group photo of all riders on today's sportive.
An impressive site and the photographer did well to get everyone in.
We arrived at Heydon without incident and were fortunate that on such a nice day there was plenty of room for all sportive riders in the 3 table outdoor seating area, so we selected a seat there.
Outside Heydon shop and tearoom about to nab a table in the outside seating area.
But first we went inside to check out the cake selection. It was not a huge selection but very effective as there were several cakes I needed to choose between. I awarded a high effective cake selection rating (ECS) and choose the tifin, Andrew went for the polenta cake and Chris the Orange sponge.
A particularly effective cake selection
I ordered my hot chocolate which had been a little weak on my last visit, so I hoped for better today. Andrew had a cappuccino and Chris a skinny mocha. When the drinks arrived they were all very well presented.
Drinks to be reviewed, which all looked very good
Unfortunately I again found the hot chocolate very milky, the coffees were both good although Chris would also have liked a bit more chocolate in her Mocha. When the nice chap serving us asked if everything was ok, I told him that I thought it was all very good but the hot chocolate was a bit weak. I had expected him to thank me for my useful and informative feedback but as the answer he had obviously been expecting was 'yes it's all great' he seemed a bit upset and looked at his shoes. If he didn't want my useful and informative feedback why ask I thought.

The cakes were some of the finest I have tried and Andrew (who is notoriously hard to please) had obviously got sun stroke as completely out of character he wanted to give his cake 10 out of 10. 

This is the third time I have been to Heydon and rated the Heydon tearooms. However as on both the previous occasions I had the same two guests not surprisingly it got about the same rating which keeps it in my top 10 cafe list as it consistently delivers a very good tea room experience. If only they could improve the hot chocolate strength it could easily be number 1 so I hope they have taken on board my useful and informative feedback.
Sportive riders struggling to identify their bikes
 due to the large number parked on Heydon common.
We set off on the return leg and left Andrew (who is notoriously easy to please at Heydon tearooms) after a few miles before returning safely to race HQ. Hopefully we will attract an even bigger field to the next sportive in August.

Cafe ratings for Heydon shop and tea room based on last 3 visits of 6
Hot Choc Quality
Guest Hot Drink Quality
Effective Cake Selection
Cake Quality
Ambiance and Atmosphere
Café Rating
6.0
8.17
8.32
9.17
9.13
8.16

Map of route

Click link to download 41 mile Norwich Heydon loop gpx file for your gps

No comments:

Post a Comment