Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Sunday 12 August 2018

Norfolk cycle parkrun challenge stage 7. (Florence cafe, Kings Lynn)

Florence Cafe,
Kings Lynn,
Closed down
You may recall that my friend Mark was looking for someone to join him on an attempt to cycle to, then run, every parkrun in Norfolk over the year (there are now 13). So far we have done 6 but due to availability issues had had most of the summer off.

Yesterday we were both back on it as it was time to do the parkrun we had been dreading, Kings Lynn. Not that there is anything wrong with Kings Lynn but as the official Norfolk cycle parkrun challenge rules state; Each ride needs to start from your home parkrun, which means the bandstand at Eaton Park in Norwich. I had calculated that we needed to leave at 5.15 am to get to the start in time so got up very early. 
Looking surprisingly happy for 5:15 in the morning
We were very fortunate with the weather as there were clear blue skies and only a light wind blowing into us. As it was still early we risked going on some busier roads to help shorten the distance although felt that straight down the dual carriageway on the A47 was probably a step too far. 
Perfect cycling conditions with no traffic about
Despite it being nearly 50 miles we paced it rather well and got to the Walks in Kings Lynn just in time for the pre run briefing.

The parkrun is 3 laps of the park which include an out and back section where you have to turn 180 degrees around a lamp post. On the first lap I studied the slingshot technique used by the more experienced runners. On lap two my first attempt nearly ended in disaster as I hung on for more than the required angle flinging myself back across the path into the on coming runners before mastering the method on the final lap.
Mark entering the finishing funnel
You may remember that back in March I got an Achilles injury (not that I like to mention it) that has now eventually cleared up. However during this time Mark built up a substantial lead in the fastest average parkrun time comp (that he didn't know he had entered). Sadly Mark is now injured so I pulled back nearly 7 minutes on him yesterday thus halving the deficit on my spreadsheet and I'm back in the game.
At the end of the Kings Lynn parkrun
It was now time to check out the cafe but unfortunately the park's one didn't sell cake so after a quick search on google maps we found one that did. It was the Florence cafe just a 4 minute bike ride away.
Outside Florence cafe near the park
It was a bit dark inside, which had the counter in the backroom as one of  two indoor seating areas available. Here we found the cake selection which had some nice cakes but they had been baked as slices not a round sponge cake like I prefer. We ordered before returning to the front room.
A rather square cake selection
I had coffee and walnut square cake with my hot chocolate and felt they were both pretty good. Mark thought his ginger cake was good too but his latte was very disappointing as it had hardly any coffee in it. Mark now has several guest hot drink rating experiences under his belt so I trusted him when he said he could only give his drink a 4.3. 
Nice cakes but latte wasn't the best
Now fully refreshed it was time to head home and despite having wind behind it felt like a bit of a slog. We both admitted to being very tired at the end of the 95 mile round trip.

Today (Sunday) I will find out if getting up at 4.45am, riding 95 miles and doing Kings Lynn parkrun is good preparation for the Great Yarmouth half marathon which I have entered. (note: It isn't)

Scores
Hot Choc Quality
Guest Hot Drink Quality
Effective Cake Selection
Cake Quality
Ambiance and Atmosphere
Café Rating
6.2
4.3
6.1
7.2
5
5.76
route to be published shortly

No comments:

Post a Comment