Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Wednesday 2 June 2021

King Alfreds way off road adventure day 2. Hindhead to Winchester

King Alfreds Way day 2 

After yesterday’s learning experience we now considered ourselves Gravel bike experts.Today looked like it would beeasier although it would be a lot hillier than yesterday so we decide to make sure it was pedals down at 9:00.

But first repairs. Unfortunately they didn’t go as well as planned as one of the two inner tubes was already punctured which caused our first delay.

But surely it didn’t matter how late we set off, didn’t we have all the time in the world. No! As always it’s important to inject some jeopardy into a ride which I had done.  In this case, if I haven’t mentioned it I had long covid for 9 months and now I seem to be better so I’m appearing on a webinar at 6:00 to “inspire” others with my story so had to be back for then.

However we were soon on our way with pedals down by 9:15.

On to the first sector and already Big George thought it was partly a hiking holiday as he pushed his bike up the first steep hill and again down a tricky descent. If this was a sign to come then my 6pm deadline looked under threat already.


Next we made a short detour to a local bike shop to stock up on inner tubes as we were only one puncture away from a disaster.

Once on our way then it felt like a different experience, cycling through the woods at 10 in the morning with pressure in your tyres compared to 6:30 on a sandy hill with a flat back. This was what it was all about.

We were making descent progress until Big George suggested we introduce a regular peaceful refreshments stop where we could contemplate nature and re energise our bodies. Unfortunately we first needed to buy refreshments so I’m not sure the first one met the brief.

It was now a series of trails, tracks and hills (lots of hills). This was because we were now crossing the South Downs on its “way”. 

Big George said he had previously walked the South Downs way and it appeared that that was going to be his approach this time too as he hopped off his bike to push it up many of the climbs.

Progress was painfully slow until we eventually made it to the beechwood cafe at the Queen Elizabeth country park much later than expected with once again our deadline under threat.

This cafe would be perfect for my science experiment to see if gravel cafes were better than road ones as we were right in the heart of gravel country.

Sadly it didn’t perform well as it was a typical attraction cafe, slow service and average fair.

On the plus side the cake selection was very good whereas the bread pudding I chose wasn’t.

It was now Big George dropped a bombshell and decided he would take a shorter route back leaving me to push on the official route alone. I can’t say I put up much of a fight as I felt more confident of getting back in time.

At the next big hill we said our good byes and agreed that every relationship needed some time apart and we would be stronger for it. So off I set up the steepest climb of the day which was on a grass slope. My cycle gps said there were 7 on the route and this one was definitely climb of the day.

The going this afternoon was the hardest to date as we just followed the South Downs way. This meant there were very few road sections, many off-road hills and tricky descents.

When you weren’t going up or down then you seemed to be cycling in a field or narrow path. Why or why hasn’t anyone tarmaced the South Downs way yet.

I just came onto another bumpy track when who should I see up ahead but Big George. So we could catch up on the couple of hours we had been apart we stopped for some nature contemplation and a banana. 


As we set of again it wasn’t long before we reached another big hill and with the clock ticking I said I wouldn’t wait and head straight for Winchester. 


There was still time to get lost twice resulting in a couple of circuits of a farmers field but I made it back at 5.45 so a new set of people will get to hear all about my long Covid, lucky them.


Tomorrow is meant to be the longest day at 70 miles, so 20 more than today. Big George is already planning his alternative route so it looks like we will be separated again.

Map of todays route

Day 2 route


Day 2 Elevation

Cafe ratings

Cafe

Hot Choc

Quality

Guest Hot Drink

Quality

Cake Selection

Cake Taste Quality

Atmosphere and Ambiance

Total

Wellington Farm Shop

 7.2

 6

 6.8

 7

7.8 

 6.96

Brown bear book shop Farnham

 

 8

 7.3

8.6

 5

 7.23

Queen Elizabeth Country Park

 6.3

 6

 8

 6.5

 5.5

 6.46

Heale Garden tearoom

 

 

 

 

 

 

St Arbucks cafe

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three Trees Farm shop cafe

 

 

 

 

 

 

Saddlebank farm cafe

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stats 

Route

Miles

Average Mph

Time on Bike

Metres climbed

Reading to Hindhead

 47.6

 9.81

 4:50

 791

Hindhead to Winchester

 49.7

 8.91

 5:34

 1132

Winchester to East Kennett

 

 

 

 

East Kennett to Reading

 

 

 

 

Totals

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment