Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Saturday 29 November 2014

Black Friday (Itteringham shop and Cafe, Itteringham)

Itteringham Village shop and cafe,
Itteringham,
Opening times Mon-Sat 09:00-17:00,
Sun 09:00-16:00

Recommended 
I returned to Itteringham Village shop and cafe today (February 2017) to show my support for their Save our Shop (SOS) campaign and also take the opportunity to try one of their excellent sausage rolls as part of my search for Sausage Roll of the Year (#SROTY).

It was a very successful trip and, reassuringly, not much had changed since I last visited or probably in the last 380 years since it first opened. 
About to help save Itteringham Shop and cafe 
When I looked up at the sky before my first visit back in November 2014, I noticed just how dark it was. During our trip it just seemed to get darker and darker. This is why I have called this post Black Friday and it is not some cynical attempt to use the current most popular search engine term in order to get more hits on my blog. 

Despite getting him soaked on our last ride, and the Black Friday sky, Big George agreed to be my guest for a 50 mile loop up to Itteringham just North of Alysham.

On the way I told him about my new feature; cycling guests top cycling tip. He was very excited and after much consideration came up with his tip.

Cycling guests top cycling tip 2. To avoid punctures and skidding on your winter rides it is worth fitting some heavy duty 700c-25 winter tyres on your road bike.

I didn't like to point out that despite following this top tip at the start of the winter I had had a puncture on yesterday's ride but as it was my first one in over 500 miles on these type of tyres I thought I wouldn't undermine his top tip (even if I just have).

Once we had crossed Norwich the ride out to Itteringham was very pleasant, if a bit dark and we arrived successfully at Itteringham cafe and shop. It is easily the smallest cafe I have found so far on my cafe cycle quest so not one for a future sportive. There are two tables in the corner of the shop and a couple of tables outside. It has a lovely cosy country folk atmosphere and so got a high Atmosphere and Ambiance (AAA) score.
Outside the Itteringham shop and cafe
Once inside I checked out the cake selection so that I could award the effective cake selection rating (ECS). It was not surprisingly a small selection for a small cafe but still very interesting. I went for almond and apricot gluten free cake and Big George had tiffin.
Cake selection on top shelf of refrigerated display unit
We also decided to have sausage rolls. After being given a long and informative explanation about each roll on offer I decided to try the one made from rare breed pork. I wasn't surprised that it was now a rare breed if they kept turning the pigs into sausage rolls. I felt very guilty eating it as this rare breed of pig had now become one sausage roll nearer extension. Surely it would be better to use 'plenty of this type of breed pork' in sausage rolls. I worried that it was like eating a Dodo roll knowing they were about to die out. However it was one of the best sausage rolls I have had so it was worth it and my guilt soon passed.

The drinks were very hot, which is good and Big George thought his filter coffee was excellent. My hot chocolate needed to be a bit stronger. The apricot and almond cake (despite its lack of tasty gluten) and tiffin were both excellent and scored highly.
Drinks, cake and tiffin
Overall the Itteringham Shop and Cafe is well worth a stop as it not only serves good cakes and drinks but is a bit different from your run of the mill cafe. While we were there much local village drama was played out and it was a bit like listening to the Archers (which I have never actually done) in real time. I can't tell you what I heard because what happens in Itteringham stays in Itteringham.

On the ride back the Black Friday sky got darker and blacker but fortunately the rain held off so I was nice and dry ready for an afternoon of on-line discount shopping.

Ratings based on 3 visits
Hot Choc Quality
Guest Hot Drink Quality
Effective Cake Selection
Cake Quality
Ambiance and Atmosphere
Café Rating
5.83
8.17
5.33
8.33
7.67
7.07

Route
Click link to download 50 mile Norwich Itteringham Loop GPX file for your GPS

No comments:

Post a Comment