Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Thursday 20 November 2014

Extreme reviewing (Butterflies Coffee Shop, Blofield)

Butterflies Coffee Shop,
Blofield,
Opening times Mon-Fri 10:00-16:00,
 Sat 10:00-16:30, Sun 10:30-15:30
Recommended 
During the winter I find that cafe cycle reviewing becomes an extreme sport for adrenalin junkies. The thrill coming from not knowing if your chosen venue will be open or not. As you approach a new cafe for the first time you never know if, the website you carefully checked before setting out, is correct for winter openings. Rounding the corner the tension mounts until BOOM, you find the cafe is shut until the spring and you have to go to plan B. Life doesn't get more exciting than this and today's ride was no exception.

For today's extreme winter cafe cycle ride I was joined by guests Chris (Mrs Crusader) and Barry and Helen and their tandem. This was Helen and their tandems first cafe cycle review for sometime as she had recently had a bionic knee fitted. We were therefore keeping the route a bit shorter than usual and had an 18 mile loop planned from their house in Thorpe End out to Ranworth and back. We were going to the Granary Store Tearoom but with the added winter jeopardy of would it be open or not.

Shortly after we set off I heard a loud bang at the back of the bike. Sunday's Cyclocross had obviously not just taken it out of me but my bike as well. One of the spokes on the back wheel had snapped. Fortunately using all my bike maintenance skills and some duct tape we were able to continue the journey.
Taping up broken spoke before continuing
It wasn't far to Ranworth and we soon located the Granary stores tearoom. As we approached the tension mounted and then Boom, it was shut. Catching my breath after the open or closed excitement I informed my guests I did have a plan B which was to go to Blofield and the Butterflies Coffee Shop at Norwich camping and caravan. 

After another short ride we arrived at Norwich camping and caravan and parked our bikes. We found Butterflies Coffee Shop at the back of the huge camping shop. It was very busy and the outdoor seating area seemed to be shut or too cold to sit out. Fortunately we were able to find a recently vacated table in the corner.
Outside entrance to Butterflies Coffee Shop
at the back of the Norwich Camping and Caravan shop
I made for the cakes counter display unit where there was a good selection of cakes but only a few of my favourites, I awarded a good Effective cake selection score (ECS).
A large selection of cakes available.
My guests had chosen a wide range of coffees and I had gone for luxury hot chocolate. I went for the Dutch apple cake, Chris the white chocolate and raspberry cake and Helen millionaire shortcake. Once again Barry opted out of any cake based activity and picked a sausage roll. Barry and Helen's tandem decided against refreshments and waited patiently outside for us.
Cakes and drinks ready to taste. Barry had already scoffed his sausage roll.
All the drinks were very hot and the coffees all got the thumbs up and a high score. My luxury hot chocolate was a little weak and I didn't notice anything particularly luxurious about it but it was a perfectly acceptable drink.

Overall Butterflies Coffee Shop was consistently good and had the added advantage that you could buy a tent and camp overnight if the long walk back out of the shop was a bit too far to do in a single day. 

The journey home saw me complete my week long winter cycling feast having completed 200 miles, 5 rides and one cyclo cross event. I will now have a few days rest before once again setting off on my mission to find more top cafes or tearooms for you to try out on your bike rides (first checking they are open of course).

Scores for Butterflies Coffee Shop
Hot Choc Quality
Guest Hot Drink Quality
Effective Cake Selection
Cake Quality
Ambiance and Atmosphere
Café Rating
6.5
8.0
7.0
7.0
6.5
7.00

As the route changed I don't have a suggested route for the ride

No comments:

Post a Comment