Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Lets find a Cafe (or tearoom)

Locations of reviewed cafes

For more information on the Cafes I have visited and the latest cafe cycle news go to http://www.cake-crusader.co.uk/

Cake Crusader Book

There is now a Cake Crusader book available where you can follow my journey from humble local trips to world record attempts and near-death experiences. How did a simple method of keeping track of decent cycling café pit stops turn my life upside down? Track my adventures into Europe, up mountains and right across Great Britain as I become a 'rising star' on social media. Will I prove my critics wrong? Should cheese scones be served hot or cold? Do I really have nothing better to do with his time? A must read for lovers of cycling and cake or anyone wanting to make it big in the virtual world

Available on Amazon


Tuesday 22 March 2022

Were have you been? Winter 2021/22 update

Winter 2021/22 update

You may have noticed that I haven't posted anything for over 4 months. Don't worry (or worry) because I'm hoping normal service will be resumed in the next few weeks.

Unfortunately since November riding has been limited as my bad knee got worse and being fed up about it seemed to retrigger the long Covid symptoms, I had back in 2020, for a couple of months too. Well at the start of March I got my knee op done and the long covid went away again a little while ago so, once my knee heels (hopefully by start of May), it will be all systems go as I have much cafe reviewing and riding to catch up on.

State of my knee straight after the op

In the meantime I did manage a few cafe rides over the winter, out to some of my favourite venues. It was all part of my cafe audit of the 250 cafes currently on my locations map. My aim is to bring the reviews and ratings up to date and also remove any cafes that have sadly decided to shut down. So here are the visits I did do which will hopefully inspire you out on a cafe cycle ride now the weather is improving.

1. The Painted Barn at Barnham Broom (see Cold! for original review, route and current rating)

Cafe is situated just out side Barnham Broom and has a courtyard area, patio outdoor seating area (which is a proper sun trap) and inside seating with a wood burner.

There is a good range of teas and coffees which all rate very highly although the hot chocolate is a bit ordinary.
There is a nice selection of cakes but the savouries here (sausage rolls, cheese scones and pork pies) are exceptional.
Definitely worth a visit.

2. Teles Patisserie near Surlingham (see Am I still Creaking for original review, route and current rating)
Teles is down a track off the road to a farm yard near Surlingham. It can also be walked to along the river.
Tele is a Portuguese patisserie chef so the cakes are excellent and very fancy. The quality is very high and everything has a Portuguese feel.  
You can sit inside at the eclectically themed indoor seating area.
Or there is plenty of room in the farmyard courtyard outdoor seating area.
So plenty of room for cyclists and slightly different from your normal tearoom or cafe.
Its almost certainly the best Portuguese patisserie in the Surlingham area. A real must visit.

3. No. 33, Norwich (see Catch up. For original review, route and current rating)
This is probably the most popular cafe in Norwich and often has a queue to get in at busy times.
This is partly because of an outstanding selection of large sponge cakes which are excellent.
The drinks are pretty good to.
Not the greatest venue for cyclists as nowhere to leave bikes or outside space but as one of the best cafes in the region it has to be on my list.

4. Heydon Tea rooms, Heydon (see a bit windy for original review, route and current rating)
This probably is the most tea roomy tea room that I have ever been too.
Not only is it set in a tiny village by the green but it has one of the finest cake selections about.
There is inside space but also outdoor seating areas both front and back. Plenty of room opposite on the village green for bikes.
The cakes and drinks are of the highest order and I'm yet to be disappointed. 
So if you like your stops to be cake based and old school then this is the place for you.

5. Urban Jungle near Beccles (see Missing the Jungle for original review, route and current rating)
If cafe stops at Garden centres are your thing then this could be a good choice. Unfortunately for  Andrew (who is notoriously hard to please) they aren't so he wasn't impressed when I took him here.

However it has a good selection of cakes and drinks so works for me on that front.
Mrs Crusader, who does like a garden centre, was also with us and liked being able to enjoy her refreshments in a plant based setting.
In a warmer weather you can also enjoy your cake outside.
So depending on your opinion on garden centres then this is one of the better offerings. As well as the branch at Beccles there is also one at Costessey too.

6. Brickyard Cafe, Hedenham (Double puncture, for original review, route and current rating)
The Brickyard cafe can be found on the Norwich Bungay road and is a favourite stop.
There is normally good selection of excellent cakes and they do good lunches too.
There are two indoor seating areas plus a nice courtyard outdoor seating area for warmer days.
With good quality drinks too its well worth a trip

7. Cherry leaf, Norwich (Milestone for original review, route and current rating)
Cherry leaf cafe is in the St Giles area of Norwich and is a lovely cafe. Although not necessary great for cyclists as not a lot of bike parking space.
However its all about the cake which are all baked on site and some of the best around.
There is a busy indoor seating are plus some seating in the courtyard out back
Its my go to venue if I'm need of a cake fix in Norwich

8. The Owl, Holt (Terror in the sky for original review, route and current rating)
The Owl is a cafe and bakery in Holt and one of many in the town which, mainly consist of tea rooms and cafes. Holt is a favourite destination for the posh north Norfolk brigade, normal tourists and cyclists. I think the Owl is one of the best ones there.

There is a continental style small outdoor seating area at the front plus a delightful wall garden based outdoor seating area out the back. It also has some seating inside too.
Being a bakery it has a wide range of cakes which feature a large selection of tray bakes. The quality is pretty good and the drinks are nice too. When I go to Holt, which is often, it is one of my regular stopping places.

So that was my winters work. But next week I'll be continuing my auditing with the first edition of "cafes on crutches" as I have been busy hobbling to more of my favourites. However its making me look forward even more to my return to the bike at the start of May. 




No comments:

Post a Comment